ATM Refunds Are Now Automatic!

Bell State Bank & Trust was the first bank in town to refund our customer’s ATM fees. Effective April 1, 2012, we will automatically refund the first 4 domestic ATM fees a month (account statement cycle) per checking account. That’s an average of one ATM withdrawal a week, and it’s refunded automatically, so you no longer need to save receipts! (We will honor ATM receipts dated prior to April 1 for 60 days from the date of the receipt, up to $12 per month.)

ATM Refunds Q&A

Is there a maximum dollar limit for the ATM refunds?

What does domestic mean?
Domestic means any bank ATM within the continental United States including Alaska and Hawaii.

If I’m on a joint account with my spouse, will we each get 4 ATM fees automatically refunded?
The four free ATM refunds are per checking account, not per card, so only the first four ATM fees on the checking account will be automatically refunded.

What does the first four ATM refunds mean? Is this the first four of the month, or per statement cycle?
The first four ATM fee refunds are per your individual statement cycle.

After I withdraw money from another bank’s ATM, when will I see the automatic refund?
The ATM refund will appear in your account the same day the withdrawal posts.

Will ATM fees from savings accounts be refunded?
No. However, you can always transfer money from your savings account into your checking account and withdraw money. This way you can avoid an ATM fee from a savings account ATM withdrawal. (Remember, you get 6 free withdrawals or debits per month per savings account.)

Why are you now automatically refunding ATM fees?
We want to make refunding ATM fees simpler. You will save gas and time now that you don’t have to bring in receipts!

37 Responses to this post...

• Josh on Apr 2, 2012 at 10:29 am #

This is awesome! It was honestly one thing that other banks did that I wished mine did and now it does.

Thanks

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 2, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Josh,

Thanks for the great feedback!

• Ken on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

Hey, this is a really nice benefit, especially since I travel nationwide and this really “extends the reach” of your ATM network!

Thanks for continuing to look for ways to help us…greatly appreciated here!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Ken,

We’re glad to hear that you’re excited for this new benefit.

• Aliceo on Apr 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

Thank you for doing this so appreciated. My question is if we use more then 4 times in a month can we still bring in the extra ones and get compensated for that for example. Say i use a atm 7 times in one month do i still need to keep the other 3 so i can receive my atm fee’s at the bank?

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 4, 2012 at 9:19 am #

Aliceo,

Thank you for your question. The first four ATM fees per account will be automatically refunded, no matter what the amount is as long as the withdrawal is from a domestic ATM. However, it is only the first four each month.

• Sheila on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

Do I have to call and set this up, or does it automatically happen for everyone with a checking account?

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Sheila,

Great question! You do not have to call to set up ATM refunds. This feature automatically happens for everyone with a checking account at State Bank & Trust. The first four ATM fees per account will be automatically refunded, no matter what the amount is as long as the withdrawal is from a domestic ATM.

• Rick on Apr 6, 2012 at 7:45 am #

Thank you State Bank & Trust!!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 6, 2012 at 10:47 am #

You’re welcome, Rick!

• Neal on Apr 7, 2012 at 7:49 am #

To expand on Alecio’s question. If I use my ATM for more withdrawals than 4 per month, I understand the fee will be refunded automatically. However, if I use my card for additional withdrawals during the month, will I be refunded the ATM fee if I bring the receipts into the bank or is State Bank only refunding up to four per month period? If that is the case, it seems like one step forward and one step back. Thanks.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 9, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Neal,

Thanks for your question! To clear up any confusion, we are refunding only your first four ATM withdrawals per month (This is an average of 1 per week). This refund is automatic, so receipts are no longer needed. Just like before, you can always get cash back while making purchases with your debit card for no charge!

• Elizabeth Begg on Apr 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

I tried to pay some bills. When I went to the web site, the screen was filled with an ad. I clicked ‘more’ and got a list of the various services you offer. There was no way for me to sigh in and pay some bills.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 16, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Elizabeth,

We will have a customer service representative email you to assist you. Thanks!

• Danielle on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Will international ATM fees still be refunded? I have really appreciated using this service during my travels.

• Michelle on Apr 23, 2012 at 9:49 am #

I agree with Neal! State Bank & Trust made one great step forward but, also at the same time went one step backwards. No more foreign ATM refunds and only four ATM’s a month instead of $12.00. I hardly ever used the $12.00 but, when we go on vacation it is great to have the option so you don’t need to be caring so much cash around.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Danielle,

Thank you for your question. We are now automatically refunding four domestic ATM fees per month. If you need further explanation, please contact our customer service center at 298-1550.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

Michelle,

Thanks for your comment. We now automatically refund 4 domestic ATM fees a month per checking account. That’s an average of one ATM withdrawal a week, and it’s refunded automatically, so you no longer need to save receipts! You can also get cash back while making purchases with your debit card at most retail stores for no charge.

• Stan on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

As far as I can tell you still have non clearly answered Aliceo’s question about withdrawals 5-7 from account within one month. The answers keep mentioning “automatically refunding.” Are there then NO refunds for 5-7, not even non-automatic refunds where receipts are kept and carried into the bank? One step forward and one step backward?

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Stan,

With our new ATM refund program, we are refunding 4 domestic ATM fees per month, regardless of dollar amount. Receipts are no longer needed!

(To close out our previous ATM refund program, we will honor ATM receipts dated prior to April 1 for 60 days from the date of the receipt, up to $12 per month.)

• brandon on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm #

after the first 4 atm refunded if we were to use atms after the first 4 are refunded can we get the others refunded?

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Brandon,

The answer to your question is no. With our new ATM program, we now automatically refund 4 domestic ATM fees a month per checking account. That’s an average of one ATM withdrawal a week, and it’s refunded automatically, so you no longer need to save receipts!

• Janet on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

I made a withdrawal and paid a $3.00 fee on 4/20 and today is 4/23 and I haven’t seen a refund of the fee. Who do I contact?

• cp on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

I understand foreign ATM fees aren’t refunded automatically, but will they still be refunded manually after April (or whenever the cutoff for the old policy is) if:

1) I bring or send you the receipts, and
    2) they total less than or equal to $12 per month, and
    3) I haven’t used & been automatically refunded for any domestic ATM fees during that period?

Thanks.

• Robin Adams on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

How (can) I withdraw funds from my checking account with my debit card if I am in Japan?

Have not been getting access to my balances on the internet. What can I do???

• Betty Ferguson on Apr 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

I agree! Bell State Bank makes it sound good, however, with cutting out the ten cents every time you use you debit card and then cutting the ATM refunds to 4 a month, that is no big deal for the customers. The Bank will due alright though>

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 24, 2012 at 8:31 am #

Janet,

The refund may take a day or two to show up on your account. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service center at 701-298-1550.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:04 am #

CP,
    Thank you for your question. We will no longer accept any paper receipts (unless dated prior to April 1, 2012 and will no longer accept those receipts after May 31, 2012), regardless of whether or not any ATM fees have been automatically refunded to your account. Our new program does not require you to save your receipts. Four ATM fees (domestic) will be refunded to your account automatically.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Robin, thank you for your question. You would need to withdraw funds from your checking account at an ATM. We are automatically refunding four domestic ATM fees per statement cycle. Please contact our customer service center at 701-298-1550 to get help with your online banking access or if you have any additional questions regarding your debit card.

• Peg Simonson on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

Thanks!

• Tom Schaffer on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

We just returned with three receipts for withdrawals prior to April 1, 2012 in another state. Do I have to bring those in or will they be credited automatically?

Thanks.

Tom Schaffer

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Hello Tom,

You would need to bring you ATM receipts in to one of our locations to get your ATM fees refunded (since these are prior to April 1). Now, the first four ATM fees per account will be automatically refunded, no matter what the amount is as long as the withdrawal is from a domestic ATM! Remember, you can always get cash back while making purchases with your debit card for no charge.

• Carrie on Apr 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

My husband did a atm cash withdrawal on Saturday and I don’t see the automatic refund of the atm charge we were charged. Do you know why?

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:36 am #

Carrie,

Thank you for your question. Please contact our customer service center at 298-1550. We will look at your account to see why this ATM fee hasn’t been credited yet.

Some ATMs do take longer than others to post to your account, and that may be why you haven’t seen your ATM refund.

• Brittany on Apr 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Sounded great at first but after reading the details, I certainly hope the refund policy will be revised in the future. I love SB&T and the lack of automatic ATM refunds was the only thing I didn’t like. I appreciate the change as I probably only use the ATM about 4 times a month anyway, but I can’t help but wonder if Gate City has a limit on their ATM refunds…

• Mary Welk on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

I just went to the Money Pass website to see where there is an ATM in Fort Collins and found that there are none. I am glad that BSBT will automatically refund the ATM fees when I use a different machine because now I will be able to use the one right here in Red Feather! Thanks BSBT!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

Mary,

You are welcome and thank you for the positive feedback! With America’s Best Free Checking, we automatically refund your first 4 ATM fees on your monthly bank statement.