Free Checking: Available at Bell State Bank & Trust

“Free checking may be ending at the big banks, but not at Bell State Bank & Trust,” says Richard Solberg, Bell State Bank & Trust chairman and CEO.

Several of the nation’s largest banks are announcing changes to their checking accounts, including the elimination of free checking. As the big banks deal with new banking regulations, many of their checking accounts now come with stipulations, such as requiring customers to maintain a minimum balance, sign up for direct deposit and use their debit card a certain number of times per month. Some banks are even charging a fee for debit card use.

“Not only does Bell State Bank & Trust plan to continue offering free checking,” says banking services manager Bill Russell, ”but we continue to look for ways to improve it.”

Bell State Bank & Trust is proud to offer America’s Best Free Checking. Customers who sign up for this account, with no minimum balance and no service charge, receive:

• FREE Automatic ATM Refunds — First 4 per statement cycle (an average of one a week), and no need to save receipts!
  • FREE Visa® debit card – with free cash back at the checkout and Change Saver™ to grow your savings
  • FREE Standard Checks — every order
  • FREE Online Banking, Bill Pay, online Paperless Statements and Mobile Text Banking
  • FREE Identity Theft Recovery Program
  • FREE (no fee) Visa® Gift Cards

You won’t find a free checking account in America that beats all the “frees” we give our customers. Learn more about America’s Best Free Checking.

82 Responses to this post...

• Jordan Runsvold on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Thank you! My money will continue to occupy your bank.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 13, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Jordan, thanks for the positive feedback!

• Kelly on Oct 14, 2011 at 7:10 am #

I want to say Thank You! I love your sense of community!

• Caleb Grundyson on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:53 am #

Thank You!! It is nothing but a pleasure to bank with State Bank and Trust.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Kelly, thank you for the compliment!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Caleb, we love to hear positive comments!

• Beth Behrmann on Oct 16, 2011 at 7:21 am #

I have been reading about more and more banks charging for this and that which used to be free. I am relieved to har State Bank continues to do each and everyone for free. Thank you! We have been with you over 12 years and will continue to do so.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Beth, you are welcome!

• Chris W on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

I have been a customer for over 10 years and have used all these services. Only one bank even compares for me and that is USAA. You have been helpful every step of the way, in Iraq, Kuwait, Germany and Korea. Wonderful service. And free cookies too!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

We strive to have unequaled customer service! Thanks for the wonderful feedback.

• Clarence & Debra Olson on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

We have tried to open accounts with State Bank and Trust. We have not been able to open an account with you because of an unacceptable credit history. What does this have to do with opening a checking account? We aren’t looking for a loan or a credit card. Just to open our checking and savings accounts and enjoy your unequalled personal service.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Due to privacy, we can’t discuss anyone’s specific credit or financial situation. Please call 701-298-1550 or stop by any of our bank locations if you’d like to talk about this further.

• Chet Larson on Oct 23, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

Go to Gate City Federal Savings Bank… There they won’t check for credit history

• Linda Schott on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Glad to hear that State Bank & Trust is not
    going to charge fees for checking. I/we have our money there and want to be able to trust it there kinda like small town banks..

I feel that is what we get too. The staff there is great too. No waiting no on hold or
    on Friday’s out of the office kinda messages.

Great job and proud to have my account there!!
    Linda

• Jan M. on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Wonderful news. Bless your heart. Compared to the bank I was at before, State Bank & Trust has been a breath of fresh air. Hope it continues. I even have my small business account through your bank.

• Pastor John Jorgensen on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Everyone at State Bank in the Northport Shopping Center is helpful and friendly. It has the feel of a small town bank with the services of a large city bank..

• Kris Ehlert on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Thank you! There is NO OTHER bank than State Bank! If you bank anywhere else, you are missing out!

• Vivian Weseloh on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

We have been more pleased with State Bank & Trust for over 12 years — so much so, that when we relocated to another state, we kept our accounts with State Bank. Whenever we have had to call you, there was always a live person answering the phone. That means a lot! If a problem arose, someone always solved it for us quickly and easily. Of course, now that we don’t live in the F-M area, we DO miss those cookies and coffee!

• Carol A. Beede on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

I couldn’t be happier with State Bank, with the personal attention I have received whenever I have called or stopped in. I will continue to bank there, especially with the fact that there will be no fees imposed on our accounts.. thank you for all the good you do..it is appreciated!!

• Elaine G. on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

We switched to State Bank & Trust more than ten years ago, and we love your great customer attention and all of your services. Plus, our dogs love the treats when we go through the drive-thru! No other bank even compares to what your bank provides. We will continue to recommend you to our family and friends. Thank you!

• Lee J. on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Oh yes, the cookies! I have switched from Bremer to State Bank and Trust! Best thing I’ve done since I’ve had a checking account! Thank you for your great hours and superb service for the Alexandria, MN area.

• Erica on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

My husband and I moved to Colorado three years ago. We refuse to give up our accounts at State Bank & Trust, and we will continue to be loyal customers no mater where we live. With the free checking accounts, direct deposits, and easy to use bill pay there’s no reason to switch! Plus your staff is always helpful when I call and VERY mindful of the fact that we can’t come into a branch location! Thanks for still being my bank even though I’m hundreds of miles away.
    PS I miss the cookies… please send cookies ASAP. :)

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

We pride ourselves on our customer service here at State Bank & Trust! Thanks for the kind words, Linda!

• Roger E. on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Thanks for the free checking!!!!Just referred your services to my sister-in-law so she can enjoy the same…your people are great to deal with also…

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm #

Thanks for the wonderful compliment, Jan!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

We will definitely let our Northport branch know you’re very happy with them! Thank you for the kind words, John.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

We agree, Kris!

• Mark K on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Ditto the Pastors comments on the North Fargo branch… With all of the talk in the news about the new fees, I was wondering if State Banks would jump on board. I am thrilled to see they will not!

Couple that with the commitment to North Fargo as the rest of the city seems to concentrate on everything south of Main avenue, keep me a loyal State Banks customer!

Thank you to all State Banks employees!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Thanks for the great feedback, Vivian! We strive to have top-notch customer service.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Thanks for the positive comment, Carol! We’re all about the frees, and no surprise fees!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Thanks for the great comments, Elaine! We love dogs, and since they can’t eat our free cookies, we feel they should get a treat too;)

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

Great to hear, Lee! We believe we have “customer hours,” not “banker hours.”

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

Erica, we love to hear comments like this! We hope you can come and visit ND or MN soon, so you can get a fresh cookie at one of our branches:)

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

Great to hear, Roger!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

That’s great to hear, Mark! Our Northport location was the first State Bank & Trust location. We are definitely committed to North Fargo.

• Kelly on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

That’s great!! The focus on providing excellent customer service and keeping existing customers is exactly why I’ve never considered switching in almost twenty years. Thank you!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

That’s great to hear, Kelly!

• Darlene and Larry Miller on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

We have banked with State Bank for most of all out lives and there is no one that is better to deal with then you. We can come in any time and just sit a talk with any one of your personal they all take the time. They always listen to what you have to say and the service is great. It is so nice to be able to do business in person. Thank you very much for not taking the perks away.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

You are welcome, Darlene and Larry!

• Darlene and Larry Miller on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Thank you for not taking the perks away. We have banked with you for almost all our lives.
    Everyone of your personal are always willing to help with anything you may have to deal with. It is so nice to be able to come into your bank and do business in person. We have never had a problem of any sort and will continue to do so. Thanks again.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

We love to hear these kinds of comments, Darlene and Larry. Thank you!

• Pat Pfeil on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm #

We are full time rv’ers based out of Florida. Traveling most of the time. We have found state bank to be the best! We do all our banking online and have great service. keep up the good work!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

We’re glad to hear that you’re pleased with our customer service! Thanks, Pat!

• Marilyn Hansen on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:32 pm #

We have been with State Bank for many, many years. Our banking before State Bank was just like the TV commercial and you had no idea what number to call and what city they were located in. It was the most frustating experience. We decided to make the switch to State Bank and have loved it ever since. The employees are so helpful, very pleasant and sometimes they know you by name. Makes for a real pleasant experience at a bank that we call home. Thank You!

• Harvey Bruse on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

I happy to say, will never leave this bank
    Harvey & Katheen

• Dorthy on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

Policies like this are the reason I bank at State Bank and Trust even tho I am 900 miles away! Love you! No bank here has the service or security to equal State Bank!!

• Ed on Oct 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

It is so nice to stop by the bank and use any of the services with out a charge, and to have Greg Johnson their to help.

• Lyle and Joan Rich on Oct 24, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

The Moorhead branch (like all the others) is more than a bank — it is a “lodge” for friendship as well as for finance. Gratefully, Joan and Lyle R

• Helen L S on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

State Bank & Trust has been my bank for about 14 years now. In fact, I had an account with USBank, and because I could not talk with a “real person” I went to the bank to close my accounts – home loan and checking. I will not forget the comment the lady made to me when I said “Sate Bank”. Her comment – “They won’t be around long”! Surely wish I would remember who she was.
    The personal touch and the smiling faces of any one of the employees is always so welcoming.
    Thank you!! And thank you for no fees.

• Bean C. on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

I have banked at the South University location for 15 years and would not even think of changing. The service is the best and I look forward to going in and visiting the gals there who are always so friendly. Also congratulations to Gert and Happy Birthday to her. You people are the best.

• Margaret Schempp on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

I love State Bank and Trust! Your “pay it forward” program is heartwarming and demonstrates to me that you are people with a soul running a corporation. This recent announcement that you will continue to do business as usual and offer your customers the same great perks as before just further convinces me that you are the best bank in the business!

• Dennis Odegaard on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

State Bank is the Best and won’t let us down. It’s awesome when your service and loyalty to your members stays the same. We appreciate the superb customer service. Dennis

• Gene on Oct 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

Better get ready I think you will get a lot of new people before the “big” banks see their error!

• Barbara Nelson-Hooper on Oct 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

So glad to hear your continuing your free checking. Even though I live out of state, State Bank is my main means of banking and I love that it has retained it’s small banking attitude. Thanks again for being the best bank ever!

• Mark N. on Oct 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm #

That is why I have been with State Bank & Trust for 29 years and no other bank. Thank You…

• DAVID MURDOCK on Oct 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

i have been with you for 20 yrs and i will stay with you

• Betty Ferguson on Oct 24, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

Thanks State Bank! We have only been a customer for 1 year and are VERY satisfied and extremely happy that we will still have free checking as we are retired and need every penny we can save.

• Steve Strege on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:44 am #

On October 24 ABC World News reported customers fleeing Bank of America’s $5 per month debit card fee by opening accounts at other banks. That is exactly what they should do. What a quaint idea – letting competition govern business behavior. The politicians don’t need to outlaw these fees. Let competition from State Bank and others take care of it. The politicians have done enough damage already.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:52 am #

We try to get to know as many customers as we can. Thanks for the comments, Marilyn!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Thanks for your comment, Harvey!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 9:54 am #

We aim to have the best customer service. Thanks, Dorothy!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:00 am #

We will let Greg Johnson know you’re pleased with his customer service. Thanks, Ed!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 10:10 am #

We will let the Moorhead branch know you are happy with them. Thanks, Lyle and Joan!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Thanks for the kind words, Helen! We think our customer service representatives do a great job.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Bean, we will let our staff at the South University branch know that you’re happy with them. And, we will tell Gert happy birthday too!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:49 am #

Margaret, we stand behind our Pay It Forward program. We want to give back to those in the communities in which we serve.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:51 am #

Thanks for the great feedback, Dennis!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Good to hear, Gene!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Barbara, even though we’re growing, we work hard to keep the small banking feel. Thanks for your comments!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Mark, we like to hear comments like this! Thanks.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:54 am #

David, thanks for your comment!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Thanks for the kind words, Betty! We plan to continue free checking.

• Nick on Oct 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

I’m moving to Portland, OR next month. Thanks to your service and financial tools, I’m in great shape before the move.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm #

Thanks for the comment, Nick!

• Deana on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

I am so thankful to be banking with Bell State Bank and Trust! It is always a pleasant experience and your customer service is outstanding. I moved to Los Angeles 3 years ago from the F-M area and still use you as my main bank because you are so great! With direct deposit, internet banking, and ATM reimbursement its easy to do even from across the country! =D

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

Thanks for the compliments, Deana!

• Laurie on Oct 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

Way to go Bell State Bank & Trust! I am so glad I switched to bank with you!

• Janelle Fortier on Oct 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

So glad to hear! With all the increasing expenses in food and gas, I am glad that my
    bank charges will not change.

Jan

• Merry K. Johnson on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

I live on Social Security only, with a small income from temp work. I am 100% satisfied with Bell State Bank and would never change. I am a small depositor in your bank but I wouldn’t put what little I have anywhere else. Thank you for your wonderful service.

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Thanks for the positive comment, Laurie!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:38 am #

We continue to plan to offer America’s Best Free Checking, Janelle!

• Bell State Bank & Trust on Oct 26, 2011 at 8:39 am #

Merry, we strive to have great customer service. Thanks for the kind words!