Bell State Bank & Trust Mourns the Death of Owner Mickey Snortland

SnortlandThomas “Mickey” Snortland, a director and major stockholder of Bell State Bank & Trust, passed away unexpectedly Sunday, January 27, at his home in Fargo. Mickey’s father, the late Thomas “Buck” Snortland, was one of the bank’s original founders in 1966, and Mickey served faithfully as a director of the bank for many decades.

The entire Bell State & Trust family extends our heartfelt sympathy to the Snortland family. Mickey is survived by his wife, Julie, and their four children, as well as extended family and friends. Funeral arrangements are pending.

15 Responses to this post...

• Brittany (Stotesbery) Dokken on Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

My condolences as a former employee. Mickey was truly a great man to work for.

• Callie Schlieman on Jan 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Mickey was one of the greatest men I knew – he taught us all about the true meaning of life. Fancy cars, clothes, and material items didn’t matter; how you treat others is what is important in life. I will cherish all of the conversations I had with home over the years. All of his fun stories had an underlying life lesson. His smile, generosity, and wit will be remembered always. Mickey, you will be missed and I am a better person for knowing you and working for you. I offer my condolences to his family.

• Sheila Emerson on Jan 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Mickey was a wonderful man. As a former employee, he showed a genuine interest in staff and willingly shared his experiences and wisdom. MIckey will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family.

• Pam Jorgensen on Jan 28, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

My sincere and heartfelt sympathy to the Snortland family. Mickey was a kind and generous man and shared that to all the employees of the bank.

• Barb Grunewald on Jan 28, 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Mickey was the kindest, most caring employer that always took the time to stop in just to visit and see how we were doing. He would freely give his time, never in a big hurry just to make sure you knew he really cared about each of his employees. He was a down to earth, hardworking and honest man that has has had a huge impact on many lives, and will be forever remembered. Our prayers go out to his family.

• Linda L. Smith on Jan 28, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

As a former employee working for Discovery Benefits I had the pleasure of meeting Micky and must say he was truly a generous,down to earth gentleman. My sincere condolences to his family.

• Katie Eckberg on Jan 28, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Thought and prayers to the family.

• Diane B. on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm #

I find it hard to express how sad I feel to know I will never be able to enjoy Mickey’s company again. He was the owner of the bank I work for, yet I truly considered him a friend. As customers, many of you probably didn’t even realize you crossed paths with him in the lobby, as his standard attire was jeans & tennis shoes. :) I am so lucky to have known him. What a wonderful soul that will be missed by many! My deepest sympathy to his family……

• Brian Bensen on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Thoughts and prayers to the Snortland family and all at Bell State Bank & Trust.

• Michelle Baker on Jan 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm #

What a wonderful man! I truly enjoyed the time I worked at State Bank and having conversations with Mickey. As may have said, he was a kind and generous man and also had a great sense of humor. Thoughts and prayers to the Snortland family.

• Chad Coleman on Jan 29, 2013 at 8:44 pm #

This is truly sad news of this passing as my thought and prayers are with the Snortland family. I will always remember Mickey by walking around talking to me and others at the bank with a coffee in hand.

• Jill k. on Jan 30, 2013 at 6:14 am #

Prayers for the Snortland family as they go through this difficult time. Mr. Snortland was a wonderful man.

• Michael Daley on Jan 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

I am respectfully representing Mickey’s classmates at Shattuck School with the letter I sent out today.

My Brothers in Life,

It’s taken me a couple of days and nights, and 2 kick-my-butt workouts to get clear-headed about Mickey’s passing. When I spoke to Lonnie and Bubbles on Monday, I was in shock from the sudden tragedy of the news. Mickey was a vital member of our class and our lives, both during the years we attended Shattuck, and since, at all the Reunions. His sudden passing leaves me grieving for him and his family. You know the stages by now-disbelief, anger, and (not yet) reconciliation.

In addition to the loss for the Snortland Family, Mickey’s passing takes a very good and decent man from my life. We all lose a brother. And Shattuck School looses a loyal son.

Mickey and I spoke at length on the phone in December. I caught up with Mickey late on a Sunday afternoon while he was at home cooking a meal for his family. The stated purpose of my call was to recruit Mickey to contact classmates in advance of our 45th Reunion this June. He readily agreed to help get as many of you back to Faribault as possible. We caught up on many things in our lives-farming, turkeys, banking, and living in our 60’s. As I was speaking about how I hoped to cajole classmates back to Faribault, Mickey interrupted saying, “You are too easy on these guys, Gopher. Tell them it’s about “Garl Darn” time they go back home.”

Our conversation was cut short because the smoke alarm in Mickey’s kitchen started to be beep loudly due to an overheated oven. I cherished the time and wisdom Mickey dished out then, and now, more so.

My apologies for what seems to have become a bit of a rambling eulogy. It pains me that I am unable to get to Fargo this weekend to pay my respects to Mickey and his family. I think Mickey would understand.

And finally, don’t you think it a fitting tribute to Mickey if we all get to our 45th Reunion June 7-9?

See you all soon Brothers of 1968.

Michael K. Daley S ’68
    3700 N. Lake Shore Drive A102
    Chicago, IL 60613

• MarJean S on Jan 31, 2013 at 8:58 am #

Mickey leaves a legacy behind that will carry on through his family, his friends, and those of us who had the pleasure to have him in our lives. His legacy is one of kindness, generosity, good will, and one of the most positive attitudes one could ever hope for. I never remember a time that there wasn’t a smile on his face, a cup of coffee in his hand, and a kind word of wisdom (or just plain humor) for everyone that he came across. The world is a darker place without Mickey, and he will be sorely missed by all of us who knew him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. May God Bless and comfort all of you.

• Brianna Bieniek on Feb 5, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, and co-workers of Mickey. May God Bless them in this time of need.