Identity Theft Recovery
At Bell State Bank & Trust, every personal checking customer is automatically covered if you become a victim of identity theft. We know this is an important issue for our customers, and we are pleased to offer you some peace of mind.
How FREE Identity Theft Recovery Works
- It starts when you call us to report any type of suspected identity theft such as fraudulent use of your name, Social Security number, bank account, any credit/debit card, or other identifying information.
- A FREE Personal Recovery Advocate assigned to you will manage your recovery plan—and contact banks, credit card companies and agencies such as the DMV, Social Security and the U.S. Post Office for you.
- FREE Identity Theft Expense Reimbursement Insurance will cover expenses up to $10,000. *
- Your Advocate will continue to work on your behalf for as long as it takes to recover your good name.
For more tips on how you can avoid identity theft and fraud, read our Security page.
Terms & Conditions of Bell State Bank & Trust’s I.D. Theft Recovery Program
- Identity Theft Recovery services are provided to individual Bell State Bank & Trust personal checking customers and their qualified household members, including spouse or domestic partner and dependents who are under the age of 21 and have the same permanent address as the customer. Businesses are not eligible for these services.
- The benefits to personal checking customers are non-transferable, non-cancelable and non-refundable.
- For purposes of this program, identity theft is defined as fraud that involves the use of a person’s name, address, Social Security number, bank or credit/debit card account number, or other identifying information without the knowledge of the customer, and such information is used to commit fraud or other crimes. An ID theft event includes, but is not limited to, any unauthorized access or use of a member’s “non-public, personal information” as defined by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
- Customers must first contact Bell State Bank & Trust before being referred to Merchants Information Solutions (MIS), Bell State Bank & Trust’s partner in this program, for services. After Bell State Bank & Trust validates the customer’s eligibility for Identity Theft Recovery services, MIS will initiate contact within one business day.
- Eligibility for recovery services under this program is based on ID theft events that are discovered and reported first to Bell State Bank & Trust, then to MIS. Persons who have identify theft events that occurred prior to the beginning of this program on March 1, 2007, are not eligible for benefits under the program if the identity theft event was known to the customer prior to the beginning of the program.
- Customers may be asked to file a police report with their local law enforcement authority and to identify the person or persons who are committing the acts of fraud and identity theft in their name, if known. The customer will continue to be eligible for services even if it is found that the perpetrator is a family member or acquaintance of the customer. Local or federal law enforcement and/or entities who are investigating the fraudulent activity, such as financial institutions and credit card companies, may require that the customer file criminal charges against the perpetrator. It is the customer’s sole decision to file charges against a perpetrator; however, failure to file criminal charges may result in MIS not being able to complete all services.
- Services are available only in the United States, and for persons temporarily or permanently residing outside the United States to the extent that U.S. laws apply.
- MIS does not provide credit counseling or repair to credit which legitimately belongs to the Bell State Bank & Trust customer. MIS reserves the right to refuse or terminate services if it is deemed that the customer is committing fraud or other illegal acts, making untrue statements or failing to perform his/her portion of the recovery plan. MIS will not refuse or terminate services solely on the complexity of the case.
- Any Bell State Bank & Trust customers who have been approved for Identity Theft Recovery Program benefits shall continue to be eligible for services until their recovery plan for the ID theft event is completed, subject to these terms and conditions.
* Insurance underwritten by Virginia Surety Company. The description herein is a summary only. It does not include all terms, conditions and exclusions of the policies described. Coverage not available to residents of New York and may not be available in other jurisdictions. Click here to view specific coverage information.